Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"Secret Words"

Looking back thirty-three years ago, I remember attending a weekly Bible Study with a few close friends.  We looked so forward to being together each week.  We loved singing the worship songs and listening to the speaker.  We had small classes for learning different subjects.  We met so many other Christian woman and our children enjoyed playing in the nursery. We also enjoyed meeting at my friend's house afterwards for some great fellowship!  We could secretly smoke our cigarettes and slander some of the ladies at the study that we didn't care for.   We felt comfortable doing this secretly amongst ourselves, after all..... we were good friends.  

                                                                 Psalm 102:5
                                                                    (of David) 
Whoever slanders his neighbor in secret, him will I put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, him will I not endure.

I am thankful to report that I no longer feel comfortable smoking cigarettes or talking 'slander' about other people.  I have asked the Lord to forgive me.  However, our own personal convictions are not always the same with our neighbors.  We may have co-workers, family members and others who insist on reporting to us negative, slanderous reports about others.  How do we put them to silence as David's Psalm indicates?  

                 *   We can remain silent and pray.
                 *   We can change the subject.
                 *   We can express how we value that person.
                 *   We can just simply remove ourselves from the conversation.

                                                                      Ephesians 4:29
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

                                                                       Morning Prayer
Dear Lord,
     Oh please forgive me for all the many times I have participated in slandering others.  Those conversations come from haughtiness and pride which is sin.  May there be a lock on my mouth from speaking . . .  and a lock on my ears from listening to such unwholesome words.  Thank you for Your mercy that is new each morning.  I love you Lord.  Amen ~

No comments:

Post a Comment