Tuesday, August 17, 2010

True Treasure...

After seventeen years, I made contact on facebook with a friend who used to be my neighbor.  We have had so much fun sharing back and forth with one another.  She told me that she still hangs the "Welcome" sign outside her front door that I painted for her many years ago.  She was laughing and remembering how I brought it over to her even before the paint was dry!  Well that sounds like something silly I would do, however I have no remembrance of this at all.  I do remember being obsessed with tole painting country images and my house was so full of this stuff that it looked like a gift shop!  Seriously.  Most all of the hand painted treasures that I kept for myself have now been discarded.  What seemed to be a treasure one day became trash the next.   

Matthew 6:19-21
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal; For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.  

The only true treasure those painted vessels had was when they were given away to bless and encourage some one's heart.  In looking back, I'm sure that I held on too tightly to those painted images and I wish that I had given more away.  I am so very thankful that my friend was blessed.  People are touched by acts of kindness and love and so is our Heavenly Father.  Let's store up our treasures in Heaven.     

                                                                             Morning Prayer
Dear Lord,
   May we not withhold and store up treasures for ourselves today that will become refuse tomorrow.  Teach us to be generous with everything You place in our hands and hearts.  Amen    

No comments:

Post a Comment