Friday, August 6, 2010

Behind Closed Doors.

                                                                      Luke 12:1-3
Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.  For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hidden, that shall not be known.  Therefore, whatever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in private rooms shall be proclaimed upon the housetops.

I was having tea with a very dear friend and she said, "I repeated what you said to the pastor the other day, I hope you don't mind."  That could have been a moment of shear panic!  When I said those words earlier, I never imagined that they would be repeated.  I consoled my friend telling her, "I really don't mind at all."  My friend's intentions were strictly for good purposes.  Perhaps a good filter for all of our words would be if we would mind if they were repeated?  We need to have wisdom to know that there is a very good chance they will find their way into other ears.  If our words need to be spoken behind closed doors or whispered, perhaps we should question the content of our conversation?  Words are tools that can be used for building up or for destroying.  Which conversations will we choose today?   

                                                                           Matthew 12:36-37
But I say unto you that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account of it in the day of judgment.  For by thy words thou shall be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

                                                                           Morning Prayer

Dear Lord,
      May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to You.  I will choose to speak words that are easily repeated for the edification of others.  If I begin to whisper or shut the door.... or say to another, "Please do not repeat this." remind me of Your ways.  Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment