Thursday, July 29, 2010

Time Is Short

                                                                    Luke 10:41
Jesus answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, thou art anxious and troubled about many things.  But one thing is needful, and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."

                                                                 1 Corinthians 7:29
                                              But this I say, brethren, the time is short.

Jesus had come to Mary and Martha's home for dinner and fellowship.  Their time together would be very short.  Martha was fretting over each detail of their evening and Mary was sitting at the feet of Jesus taking in each detail of her Savior and Lord.  The details that Martha concerned herself  would soon pass away.  However the details that Mary concerned herself with would never be taken away.  Mary chose the good part.

I woke up this morning reciting a list of things I am anxious and troubled about.  My thoughts went from finances to relationships to tasks that need to be done.  Then I stopped long enough to confess that these many things were not going to ruin my day nor distract me from what is truly important.  My days seem to be getting shorter and shorter and I don't want to waste them on fretting over circumstances that will soon pass away.  Will I remember a year from now the burden that I carry around with me today?  The answer is no.  The precious time I spend sitting at the feet of Jesus or the time I spend with loved ones will never be taken away and I will choose the good part.  

                                                           Morning Prayer
Dear Lord,
     I will bring to You my troubles and concerns and leave them at Your feet so that I can choose the one thing that is truly needful in my life and that is my fellowship with You and with others.  Thank you for always inviting me to sit at Your feet. Amen  

1 comment:

  1. This post speaks to me a lot! I worry about things so much, and I try to keep reminding myself to focus on the things that are within my control because I just don't have the time (or energy) to worry about things that are out of my control. And you're right: in a year, we never really remember what things were burdening us, so it obviously wasn't important enough to be using precious time fretting about it!

    ReplyDelete