Friday, July 23, 2010

There Is No Place Like Home

                                                                          Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

My heart is feeling so comforted this morning because the sky is gloomy and overcast and it's been raining just a little bit.  This type of weather takes me home to Indiana, where I was born and raised.  Even though I have lived here in Arizona for over forty years, I feel the most complete when I visit back home.  I think it's interesting how so many details of my life emulate my younger years.  I fold my towels the way my Mother did.  I enjoy wearing the same hand lotion she used.  I could never fully list all the ways that I imitate the way I was raised.  I believe that we all have a desire in our hearts to be at home.

As a Mother, we hold that little one in our arms and imagine how he or she will grow up and live their lives.  However, reality doesn't always match our imaginations.  I am the Mother of three daughters and they are now fully grown beautiful woman.  In each of their lives, they all have taken turns in the road that I would never have chosen for them.  It can be heart breaking for a mother to watch her children making choices that are opposite of the way they were raised.  "God, where are you?"  We might pray.  I have truly learned that God is always there and He is working in their lives in such a quiet special way.  My heart rejoices as I observe my daughters all changing and growing and I'm pretty sure they all fold their towels the way their Mom did!  

In the last three years, I have watched the hand of God in my middle daughter's life.  She has rededicated her life to Jesus Christ.  She has been delivered from excessive alcohol and cigarettes.  She has become a very active member in her church and dedicated her extra time to ministering to High School youth.  Her heart truly is bent on living a life that honors God.  Praise God there is always hope! 

                                                                         James 5:16
                    The prayer of a righteous man (Mother) is powerful and effective.

Dear God,
     Thank you that You are so trustworthy when it comes to our children.  We can call upon You on their behalf.  We can fully trust that You are working in their lives and bringing them to a safe place.  Only You fully know and understand them and where they are going.  I will praise You even before I can see the changes!  Amen

2 comments:

  1. And today here in Indiana it is overcast, sunny ... and very hot! Yes it is good to watch God do in our children what we cannot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are countless things that I do and say because of you. You have molded who I am today. Although I may not always do things the way you would like me to I always am open to your advice and take it in to consideration. I appreciate the way that you still love and support me despite my decision. As you are one of God's children and may not always choose the path he would have wanted but he is still there to love and support you and guide you back.

    ReplyDelete