Monday, July 26, 2010

Cast Down

                                                                              Psalm 43:5
Why art thou cast down, O my soul?  And why art thou disquieted within me?  Hope in God; for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

The greatest danger sheep face is to become "cast down".  This means that in lying down they have become too complacent and have rolled over on their backs and their feet go straight up into the air.  When in this position, it is impossible to get themselves back upon their own feet again.  They cannot remain in this state for very long without losing their lives because of lack of blood circulating in their veins.  Their only hope is to be rescued by their shepherd, who is always on the lookout for a sheep that is "cast down".   He will leave the other sheep to seek it out and put it back on it's feet again.  With love and compassion the shepherd tends to the needs of His sheep.

Sometimes our souls become 'cast down' and we may not fully understand why?  We can kick our legs and cry and complain.  However, until we hear our shepherd's voice speak into our hearts and He puts us back on our feet again will we experience the fullness of His joy.  This morning,  after reading and searching the scriptures and praying (kicking my legs) I said, "Lord, please speak to my heart and give to me a psalm to read that will bring life back into my soul."  He whispered Psalm 43.  As I read the precious words I could feel His blood rushing through my legs and I was back on my feet again! 

                                                                 Morning Prayer
Dear Lord Jesus,
     There is no one like You who knows how to pick us up and put us back on our feet once again.  Thank you Lord that when You find us "cast down", You never point Your finger and condemn us or criticise and judge us, You simply lift us up with Your love and compassion.  We are so blessed to have You as our Shepherd.  Amen   

No comments:

Post a Comment