Monday, September 27, 2010

"Pink Piggy Bank". . .

Early Friday morning the grandchildren and I were searching for lunch money for school.  Little Nick who is seven came to me with a hand full of change.  "Grandma, I want you to keep this money."  I gasped because this was pretty much all he had in his bank!  "Oh Nick!  I can't take your money!  Honey, you keep it in your bank."  He was insistent... "No Grandma I want you to have it!"  So reluctantly I put it in my wallet.  I was tempted to just put it back in his little bank, but something told me that would be wrong.  Here we are wanting to teach our children to be kind and loving and giving and then discourage them?

Sunday morning at church I spotted our "Pink Piggy Bank" that is for collecting money for the children's church supplies.  After the service I called Nick.  "Nick, guess what you did with the money you gave me?  I put it in the "Pink Piggy Bank" at church.  You gave to the children at church for their craft supplies.  Nick, today you gave to God!"  This really pleased him . . .

                                                                   Matthew 25:40
In as much as you have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me.

                                                                    2 Corinth. 9:7
Every man according as he purposes in his heart, so let him give, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Nick runs from me when I want to give him "Grandma kisses", but I knew this little gift to me was his way of expressing his love for me and my heart was so touched!  I wanted to take this love gesture and let him know that when he gave to me .... he also gave to God!

                                                                    Morning Prayer
Dear God,
   Just like a little child, from a loving heart, may I be a cheerful giver.  Please bring to my remembrance that when I give to others, I am really giving to You!  Amen~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment