Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Accomplishments vs. Influence

The great accomplishment at the Olympic Games is to win the "GOLD"!  The sacrifices and the cost of this goal for each participant is not even measurable.  For many athletes, their performance will become their future "identity". 

In watching the Olympics, I have not been focused on the accomplishments of the athletes, as much as their influence they are making to the world watching.  I study their responses to their wins and losses more than their final scores.  To me, their greatest victory is to respond to their own performance with humility and thankfulness.  I love to watch their behavior and gestures of compassion and encouragement to their competitors.  This can be a much greater victory than winning the "Gold".  

Our true "Identity" comes more from our influence on others than our accomplishments  and the rewards are far more significant. 

                                                                  Hebrews 12:1

Wherefore, seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.

                                                                Morning Prayer

Dear Lord,
    Help me today to focus more on the influence that I am making upon others, than to my own record of accomplishments.  Love is always your goal for me and I will be pure "Gold" in Your eyes.  Amen ~

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, Deb! So glad I checked again to see if you might have started writing your devotions again. What a blessing you are to me. Thank you for sharing your gifts and talents with others. Praise our Lord!
    ~Carol B.~

    ReplyDelete